12/16/09

Here Puppy Puppy Quinny Quinny

You know the scene on Pirates of the Caribbean where the pirates in jail are trying to get the dog to give them the keys to unlock the cell door?? Well, yesterday I was kind of like those inmates. I was desperately trying to unlock a door, my car door that is.

The morning started off pretty normal. The boys and I dropped off Mackenzi at school. We went to Target to do some Christmas shopping. Then we walked to the car. I usually put both boys in their car seats on the same side of the car, but yesterday the car next to me was parked very close to us. I threw my purse in the front passenger seat (which I normally do). Then, I did something a little different. Because of the closely parked car, I put Quinn in the car (not in his seat, just standing in the backseat), then I put Jace in his car seat and strapped him in. I figured I would have to walk to the other side of the car to put Quinn in his seat, since I didn't have enough space. I shut the door and put my bags in the back of the car, handed my basket off to a worker that was collecting carts, and finally went to the (other) back door to buckle Quinn in. That's when things took a turn for the worst. I tried to open the door, LOCKED. I went to my door, LOCKED. I checked every door and hatch...LOCKED!! I see Quinn, standing in the backseat, SMILING and holding my keys. That little angel locked the doors. He had reached into my purse and grabbed the keys, which were right next to my cell phone.
So here I am in the Target parking lot desperately trying to get Quinn to climb up to the front seat so he can push buttons and unlock my doors. Everything is in the car, my phone, my purse, my wallet, my KIDS!!!! People are looking at me like I'm the worst mother in the world as I bang on the window, play peek-a-boo, kiss the window, blow raspberries on the window...all trying to get Quinn to climb into the front seat. He was now sitting on the center console having the time of his life. Drinking my ice cold Target Pepsi, going through my wallet, playing with coins, pushing buttons on the dash...smiling, clapping, and waving!! UGH!!! Poor Jace is strapped in safely, getting fussy because he wants to play too. Finally I flagged someone down and used her cell phone. I couldn't call Matt, because he recently got a new cell phone number and I don't know it by heart yet. So I called my mom, who was laughing hysterically, who then called Matt. Luckily he was at his parent's office which was VERY close to the Target. He called AAA and came over. While we were waiting for him, a nice stranger lady and I were still desperately trying to get Quinn into the drivers seat with tic-tacs as bait to lure him in. Once Matt got there, the nice tic-tac lady left and we got him into the driver's seat and we got him to push buttons. Only, he kept pushing the LOCK button!!
After about 40 minutes from the time the doors locked, the AAA guy came to the rescue and within 5 minutes the doors were unlocked and everything was fine. Surprisingly I didn't panic or even get nervous the whole time. After the initial shock of "HOLY S#*T, What am I going to do now?" I was calm and laughing to myself at our situation. You gain knowledge from every experience right?? Obviously from this one its "ALWAYS HOLD ONTO YOUR KEYS, especially when your (almost) 2 year olds are loose in the car". Thank GOD for AAA!!!!

2 comments:

The Picketts said...

That's pretty funny...MOSTLY because it's not ME! I'm glad all is well - but I've had a very close SCARE with that same situation. I always put my keys in my pocket or my bra (if I have no pockets). Good memories! :o)

melissa said...

Hilarious! =)